Wednesday, March 10, 2010

how i'm gw, etc. pt 2. (why i returned to the p.o.)

If you read my profile, you'll see I was raised Catholic, and went through various stages of protestantism, to become a devoted pantheist. Thank me. So, it might not surprise you to learn that, for years, I felt a "call" to be a missionary in Africa. I have always wanted to go there and suspect, once I go, I'll want to stay.

That being said, I was sitting at work, a few years back, processing images of mail on my computer screen, thinking about what a wonderfully well-paying and secure job I had, and pondering how many years I had worked many horrific jobs (and some not too bad ones), and how blessed I felt at that moment. As I was relishing how far I'd come, and pondering where the future might take me, the thought came into my head, "You're going to have to give this all up, someday."

To which another voice retorted, "oh, yeah?"

The first voice continued, "yes, one day, you'll just have to take a leap of faith."

And at the precise moment the word "leap" popped into my head, the word "leap" popped up on my computer screen, on the next envelope I was to process. Right there, in the upper left corner, where most people put their return address (who wouldn't put it there? and why not? [helpful postal hint]) was the single word, "leap!"

Needlesstosay, I would have soiled my undies, had I been wearing any. (jk, I usually wear something between me and my jeans.) But, wouldn't you want to crap yourself? So, the voices in my head argued back and forth for a bit, until the voice I'll call "me" said, "Omg, ok. I'll do it, but you'll have to tell me when, and I better know it's you, 'God.'"

Of course, this is all part of why I quit, when I decided I was God and I didn't need no job (see previous blog). I had recently had several dreams in which I took a flying leap only to have the softest of landings. So, when I decided to quit, I just didn't show up the next day (you could be fired for that, immediately, you know. they'll do it.), and, a day later, walked into my bosses office, handed him my badge, and said, "it's been nice working with ya."

He surprised me by saying, "I figured you'd say that to me one day," and a bunch o' other cool stuff that left me confident I had made the correct choice.

Of course, once people started finding out, some went ballistic and lectured me (Come on, guys, I'm an adult) and others just gently asked the story and made sure I knew what I was doing, and just suggested I reconsider. Aaaaah. I listened whole-heartedly to them all, but respectfully disagreed.

So, let's recap. We got the birthday/anniversary/wisconsin/george-washington-look-a-like mask thing and the whole "who needs a job", and the soft landings...

So, of course, as I realize, I might get hungry without my fat paycheck, I go online and lookup overseas jobs. Now, everyone, and I mean, everyone has told me not to quit my postal job, to keep my insurance and my security, (and visit africa, first, and then later, maybe go there longer, etc,) but I am sure that, being God, I'll survive without it. And I was expecting that soft landing, but I didn't expect to type in the words "overseas jobs" and have the first hit to pop up be "united states postal service". Ccome on! And, of course, as I looked at the wedsites that listed jobs, I realized I might have trouble finding a position with no degree, and only clerical experience. So, I started looking at volunteering, but they all require that you have your own health insurance. Um, I was like, ok, I wonder if my soft landing of the dreams was the cushy job I already have, and since, "if a man doesn't work, he shall not eat," sounds reasonable, I might as well keep the fine job I already had.

I went back the day before my resignation would have taken effect and the h.r. lady about cried telling me how glad she was I came back. (Well, her husband had recently died, so she related how she had wished all the folks who praised him at his funeral had been able to tell him those things to his face. I almost cried, too.)

Now wasn't that was an adventure? And now, two years later, I have to find employment elsewhere, whether I like it or not. My worksite is closing. It'll be cool to see where I land this time. Don't worry, I'll keep you posted.

Yours,

D

P.S. Thanks for your patience and comments. :]

3 comments:

  1. Hello, D

    I am freakin glad you went back to the PO. I'm currently trying to remember how long I went without employment after having left the PO. Ummm... It was actually a couple months, come to think of it. My hubby had a FAT paycheck from Honeywell, our credit was not too bad and we were livin' high on the hog, as they say.

    I hope you get a transfer to Jerome or Sedona or somewhere... I don't know nothin' about no Atlanta. I heard you might return to Wisconsin, but... MEH. Seriously, I thought I was a lifer at American Express, and then I got fed up and went to the PO, the REC, actually.

    You remind me of me, just sort of strollin' through life, not so sure there is a God, but in case there is, yer chattin' with him/her/it all along... I always wait around and wonder where I'll end up. Sometimes I go the Quantum Leap route and wonder why I have yet to LEAP to the next adventure.

    I love you and hope I get to hang out with you again before you leap, honey bunny. Remember, we were once an item so to speak until I broke up with you. Yes, I was bereft, as you may recall. We were both married and things were just not going our way.

    Your pal,

    Cindalou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something I have always loved about you is your transparency and honesty. Your writing is always the real you, with no subterfuge. Wherever you end up next, I just want you to be happy and fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C, thanks for the candor and humor! and i like your take on me... could be true!

    T, thank you, too, for the kind words , kind wishes and the endless love. bum bum, bump buh buh baaaah bumpm baaah!!!!

    ReplyDelete