Saturday, September 11, 2010

Anniversary of a Birth

My granddaughter turns four today.
I want her day to be a happy one.
I want to forget the things that happened on that day
way before she was even an inkling
in her mama's knickers.
She doesn't know what it means to lose people you love
for no reason other than hate
or greed
or ignorance
or jealousy
or ignorance
or hate
or ignorance...
she only knows she wants a pink cake
with purple frosting and strawberries.
and she'll get it.
happy birthday,
sweetie.
may you turn this day into joy for all
somehow

2 comments:

  1. It's a good day. My niece Brooke was born September 11, 2000. My niece Cori was born April 20, 1981, which then ended up being a bad day for students and teachers at Columbine High School. (April 19th is the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995.)
    It's all relative.
    This type of thing should not ruin others' good times forever.
    Your granddaughter's tragedy is that whenever she mentions her birthday, people will say, "Oh, I'm sorry". They are effectively telling her she can never be happy on that day because of a REAL tragedy.
    My favorite brother died on August 8, 1991. Since my sister's birthday, my husband's birthday, and my other sister's wedding anniversary all fall on August 8th, Adam and I got hitched on August 8, 1992. We wanted it to be a good day again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cin, i like your perspective. turn those frowns up-side down!

    ReplyDelete