Monday, October 12, 2009

2 b hapi b hapi

Short version...

Let's say you have an issue about which you are angry. You have exhausted all fantasies of revenge for various reasons of conscience and legality and are, therefore, left with becoming a hermit or jumping from a bridge (or some other tenable form of self-destruction) but feel these choices are a bit extreme. Well, other folks seem to survive lesser hardships of mind and body.

And, you've heard that no one makes you angry, so you logically deduce that if you make yourself angry (I do it less now that I can admit it to myself) you can make yourself happy. So, call it joy, serenity, peace of mind, ecstasy, transcendence, or whatever you desire, but focus on it. Perhaps you'll want to sit up straight and take a deep breath at this point. Then just imagine the last time you felt joy, and if, god forbid, you can't recall a specific situation wherein you experienced the elected emotion, imagine what it would feel like.

Next thing you know, you're thinking pleasant thoughts and the heat of anger leaves your frontal lobe and tranquility prevails. Good job. You're probably pretty pleased and maybe a smidge surprised that it was so simple. I know I was surprised to find I could do this anytime, anywhere and, in fact, had been the one governing my state of mind all along.

Oops. You mean, I've spent a lot of time being unnecessarily angry? Good thing it's just a ride. Now, I can enjoy the rest of it. I hope you join me in my enjoyment.


Yours,

D


P.S. Besides, we're both way more fun to be around when we're happy. It's win-win.

2 comments:

  1. I know I'm alot more fun to be around! It's totally true though! Thank you Father!

    ReplyDelete
  2. R, i specialize in my version of the truth, but you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete