Monday, October 5, 2009

The Shroud of Truth

I read an article today about the Shroud of Turin. Hm. Sounds like a topic sure to start a debate.

I saw a show a few years back on PBS, which had different folks trying to duplicate the relic with models and mirrors, and wax and sunlight, etc, etc. They all failed miserably, saying that didn't mean it was real. It just means, however it was made, there's only one, so far. Ironically, the final person on the show, whose attempt was closest to looking like the actual shroud, had injected himself with the magic things that glow when you pass them through an MRI machine and did then pass himself through such a device and produce an image that looked surprisingly like the one on the cloth in question, and, thus, concluded that the shroud had been made as it passed through the body of Jesus as he resurrected. Could be. And, now, we have a man who says he has made a copy of the shroud (not by resurrecting himself, as far as I know, but we'll find out monday).

Hey, I was just getting used to thinking there really was a Jesus and now I have to disbelieve it all over again? Thanks. But seriously, does it matter if the shroud is real, or if Jesus is real? Would anyone believe less if neither were real? Probably. But what in this life is really "real"? Shit, two years ago, a sizable, previously "real" chunk of value in my house disappeared as if it had never existed. And didn't it only exist in everyone's mind in the first place? Didn't we collectively imagine it was worth this much and, then, when it started to be worth less, we all nodded our heads knowingly and agreed, "That's better, prices needed to come down...?"

Hm. All I'm saying is, if it's imaginary, let's all imagine peace, joy, love, respect, patience, kindness and if it's "real", let's all imagine peace, joy, love, respect, patience, kindness until it's real to everyone and not worry about the authenticity of a shroud or whose God's rocket is bigger or if we and our neighbors believe the exact right things (good luck with that, anyway). Let's just imagine we all like each other and act accordingly. C'mon, it'll be fun.



Yours,

D



P.S. Well, it is a mystery, after all and, of course, no one really knows. I mean, no one's come back of late to tell us what it's like, so, it's pretty much anyone's guess, isn't it? (I know God spoke to you and told you you have it all figured out. Good for you and your pastor, but since the other six point something billion of us are all convinced we're right, too, maybe you'll be able to find a way to let yourself down easily, cuz) No one has any friggin idea (not even Minister McSure-of-himself, who's all of, what, 47?), so why don't we enjoy ourselves, whatever we believe and let others enjoy themselves, as well. We're in this together, aint' we? So, let's all play nice.

P.P.S. Guess what I'm imaging right now? (Not that, sicko.) We're all on a merry-go-round and I'm riding the purple horse with the golden saddle. Woo hoo!

4 comments:

  1. Thank Someone you got the purple horse with the golden saddle, Dennis, my pal, my buddy. If not, I would be so disappointed.

    There is something in your blog postings that tells me you and I are possibly in similar places right now. I HATE HATE HATE to think this is really what's happening right now. My church peeps, whom I've known only five or ten years, depending upon which church it is, think I am one thing, but what am I? I like to sing in church, is that enough? They give me the mike and let me sing and I kill, nearly every freakin' time, I swear to God or Someone.

    Do I drive 28 miles each way for church service and/or choir rehearsal? Waaah for right now.

    Yes, I married an atheist and he doesn't have much to say on the subject, eh?

    Love,
    Cindalou

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's ok to be in the same place as me...i'm in cookie heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quote from your blog struck me this evening. I used to be able to play nice. Now that I have been stirring things up, people are not so happy to deal with me. The pastor of my CHURCH unfriended me on Facebook last month. WTF?
    I never really liked him anyway, so I was not that upset but I no longer have a pastor. I don't want to go to choir practice or church now. I'm lost, again, as usual...

    "Let's just imagine we all like each other and act accordingly. C'mon, it'll be fun."

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey c,
    it reminds me of a book, "you can't say 'you can't play'". and your pastor? owie. pastors can be people, too. it sux when they fall from their pedestals. like when we realize our parents are just people, as much as we wanted to believe them when they purported themselves to be "always right." they meant well.
    as for not wanting to go. sounds perfectly understandable and reasonable.
    when me and my former choirs were on the outs, i just went 'til my obligations were fulfilled, head high, heart happy, and then i found another choir. now, i'm learning to not let myself get on the outs by recogniziing my self-sabotaging actions (most of the time?) (or do I?) (anyway) and doing things differently than in the past. mostly, by realizing my crazy brain is my main challenge, i've been noticing a lot of things i do and intercepting the action before I do it. baby steps, but i'm patient. slow growth isn't bad growth. (dog, i'm so profound)

    L8,
    D

    ReplyDelete